Subjunctive Mood. Conditionals. №4
Дополните предложения нужной формой глагола:
1. I'm sorry you didn't tell me that dogs were allowed in the hotel; if I (know) I (bring) my dog. He (enjoy) the walk.
2. He says he refused the job, but that this was nothing to do with the salary. He (refuse) even if they (offer) him twice as much.
3. The club secretary is useless. He never tells anybody anything. We (not know) about this meeting if the chairman (not tell) us.
4. When the director asked her to play the lead she agreed though she didn't know anything about the play. I think that if she (read) the play first she (refuse) the part.
5. The burglar made quite a lot of noise getting into the house; but fortunately for him the family were watching a noisy TV play. If they (play) cards they certainly (hear) him.
6. It rained, which spoiled our picnic; but if it (not rain) it (be) a great success.
7. Why are you in such a bad temper? Because I've been waiting for 40 minutes in an icy wind. If you (wait) 40 minutes in an icy wind you'd be bad-tempered, too.
8. You used wet sticks; that's why the fire took so long to light. If you (use) dry sticks it (light) long ago.
9. I didn't recognize him at first because he was wearing dark glasses; if he (not wear) them I (recognize) him immediately.
10. You knew that horse was going to win! Don’t be ridiculous! If I (knew) I (back) him myself.
11. When the weather got bad the climbing party turned back, all except Tom and his brothers, who decided to go on. If only they (turn) back with the others they would be alive today.
12. He was not very happy at school because he was a bookish boy, not at all interested in games. If he (play) games like the other boys he (have) a much better time.
13. We had to stand almost all the way. It was all Tom's fault. If he (book) seats, as I told him to, we (have) quite a comfortable journey.
14. We were travelling with false passports. That was the trouble. If our passports (be) all right we (not be) arrested.
15. They voted by a show of hands and decided in favour of a strike. But it was by a narrow margin and I think that if they (hold) a secret ballot there (not be) a strike.
Ответы к упражнению:
- had known, would have brought, would have enjoyed
- would have refused, had offered
- would not have known, had not told
- had read, would have refused
- had played, would have heard
- had not rained, would have been
- had waited
- had used, would have lit
- had not worn, would haverecognized
- had known, would have backed
- had returned
- had played, would have had
- had booked, would have had
- had been, would not been arrested
- had held, would not have been